- theoretical aspects of complex dynamics, nonlinear stochastic processes.
- the relationship between dynamics and statistical physics, nonequilibrium statistical physics and fluctuation theorems
- novel concepts for time series analysis, essentially based on the idea of reconstruction of a state space from observations.
Time series software package TISEAN
- data analysis, modeling, and prediction in atmospheric physics: ensemble forecasts, skill scores, systematic errors, effects of long range correlations, identification of trends
Current PhD projects
- Theoretical foundations and properties of Detrended Fluctuation Analysis (DFA) (Marc Höll)
- Detection and characterization of transport barriers in 2-D hydrodynamic flows, Lagrangian coherent structures (Benedict Lünsmann)
- Large deviation probabilities for correlated time series and the accuracy of time averages in dynamical systems and climate time series (Mozhdeh Massah)
- Identification of trends underlying extremes and record breaking in weather data (Philipp Müller)
- Cascading extremes, general weather patterns, and climate change in selected European regions (Carl Schertel)
- Reconstruction of drivers in linear response models of the atmosphere (Philipp Meyer)
- Data models with prescribed correlations but non-Gaussian marginal distributions (Katja Polotzek)