| Lecture 6
| Instructor ]
Suggestions for further reading
- Euler-Moivre equation: Arfken (chap. 6.1)
- Fourier expansion: Arfken (chap. 14)
Questions for Review
- How are trigonometric functions and the exponential function
related? How do you prove this relationship?
- Using the Euler-Moivre equation, how can you represent
arbitrary complex numbers?
- How can you use the Euler-Moivre equation to obtain
addition theorems for trigonometric functions?
- What is a Fourier expansion? What are the basis functions
in which you expand? Are there several possibilities?
- To what kind of functions does the Fourier expansion apply?
- What are the orthogonality relations for trigonometric
- What is the meaning of the Kronecker symbol?
- How do you calculate the coefficients of the Fourier expansion?
- What can you say about the Fourier coefficients of even/odd
- Give a heuristic argument why periodic functions should have
a Fourier expansion.