DYNAMICS ON AND OF COMPLEX NETWORKS V
A two-day Satellite Workshop of the European Conference on Complex Systems, 2011
Vienna, Austria, September 14-15, 2011
*** HORSAAL 1 of the University of Vienna ***
"Network Science" has recently attracted the attention of a large number of researchers from across various disciplines, mainly due to its ubiquitous applicability in modeling the structure and dynamics of large-scale complex systems (both natural and man-made). Examples of such systems, exhibiting complex interaction patterns among their constituent entities, range from genetic pathways and ecological networks to the WWW, peer-to-peer networks, and blogs and online web-social networks (such as Facebook, Orkut and Twitter).
For the past three years, the primary aim of the series of workshops "Dynamics on and of Complex Networks", held as a satellite meeting of the European Conference on Complex Systems, has been to explore the (statistical) dynamics on and of such complex networks. Dynamics on networks refers to the different types of so called processes (e.g. proliferation, diffusion etc.) that take place on networks. The functionality/efficiency of such processes is strongly affected by the topology as well as the dynamic behavior of the network. On the other hand, Dynamics of networks mainly refers to various phenomena (for instance self-organization) that go on in order to bring about certain changes in the topology of the network.
It has become clear from the past series of workshops "Dynamics on and of Complex Networks" that modeling social and information dynamics through networks has gained enormous importance. Consequently, this year the workshop will focus on this particular theme, i.e., "modeling social and information dynamics through methods of complex networks".
Some of the topics covered within the umbrella of social dynamics are:
Topics under information dynamics include but are not limited to:
- Analysis of online social communities: identification of communities and their evolution with time
- Temporal analysis of social networks
- Social media analysis: blogs and friendship networks
- Privacy in online social networks
- Trust system over online social networks
- Search strategies in online social networks
- Viral propagation in online social networks
- Mobile social networks
A closer inspection would make it clear that the issues and the related problems in this area are still very loosely defined. The primary objective of this interdisciplinary workshop would be to tie these loose ends and concretize the problems that need to be urgently addressed through intensive discussions among the expert scientists in this area.
- Peer-to-peer networks: stability, search trust, security and deployment
- Traffic modeling in information and transportation networks
- Network analysis of mobile phone data
- Network based techniques for information retrieval
- Network science for design and development of wireless/sensor networks
- Dynamical properties of ad-hoc networks of mobile agents
You can register for the workshop as well as the main conference at http://www.eccs2011.eu/registration/